GSHC and KHL?

Discussions générales autour du club
GSHCinSVK1

GSHC and KHL?

Message par GSHCinSVK1 » ven. 12 déc. 2014 17:37

Sorry for writing in english, can not speak french.

I read article of Zaugg where he wrote that GSHC might join KHL in future because KHL has changed strategy of expansion after Chernysenko became a president of KHL.

http://www.watson.ch/Eishockey/articles ... s%C2%BB%3F

I would like to ask fans how they see this news? Would you support GSHC in KHL? If yes, under what conditions (more NLA clubs in KHL etc)?

Gunvor, which was co-owned by Timchenko (Chairman of KHL Board of Directors and now no.1 in league) and sold after US sanctions, is sponsor of GSHC. How many season is Gunvor sponsor of GSHC?

When will new arena be built? What capacity (KHL required 12 000)?

thanks.

Taupe

Re: GSHC and KHL?

Message par Taupe » ven. 12 déc. 2014 17:51

GSHCinSVK1 a écrit :Sorry for writing in english, can not speak french.

I read article of Zaugg where he wrote that GSHC might join KHL in future because KHL has changed strategy of expansion after Chernysenko became a president of KHL.

http://www.watson.ch/Eishockey/articles ... s%C2%BB%3F

I would like to ask fans how they see this news? Would you support GSHC in KHL? If yes, under what conditions (more NLA clubs in KHL etc)?

Gunvor, which was co-owned by Timchenko (Chairman of KHL Board of Directors and now no.1 in league) and sold after US sanctions, is sponsor of GSHC. How many season is Gunvor sponsor of GSHC?

When will new arena be built? What capacity (KHL required 12 000)?

thanks.
Hello!

About the arena : we have no idea. Not before 2018-2020 I guess. And if I remember well, it was supposed to be around 10'000 places.

About the KHL strategy : the KHL decided to focus their financial investment in traditional (==> russian) teams, which could mean that Zagreb won't play next season in the KHL. Therefore, I do not think there is any chance Servette will play in the KHL.

GSHCinSVK1

Message par GSHCinSVK1 » ven. 12 déc. 2014 18:07

Who is owner/s of GSHC?

KHL strategy of expansion was under Medvedev to expand to non-hockey markets (Zagreb), create new clubs (Lev) and russian business financed euro clubs. New strategy is to focus in traditional russian clubs (Soviet Wings, Spartak Moscow) and STRONG/FAMOUS traditional euro clubs like Jokerit Helsinki. Then maybe expansion to Asia.

Dont know if GSHC joins KHL, but it is interesting that Timchenko as no.1 in KHL sponsors the club. Why to do this? Another example is Spengler Cup. KHL club/s have played SC since 2008 every year, why? KHL has problems with calendar (EHT pauses) and wants to send clubs to Davos to play a few games? PR move of KHL? Does KHL want NLA clubs to join league in future? I dont get this strategy (playing at SC).

How does fans/club judge innaugural season of Champions Hockey League? Were fans interested in CHL?

Cole

Message par Cole » ven. 12 déc. 2014 19:11

For the record, those rumors aren't news at all, we've heard about it for a couple years (?) now. Club said it's not happening. (To be taken with a grain of salt, but FYI).

In a perfect world, there is no way the GSHC joins the KHL. Swiss league is "our" league, and anything different would feel very artificial. Not sure what'd be left of the thrill, playing versus Zagreb, Helsiniki etc. I think that for most people here - not necessarily hardcore fans but even the casual, occasional followers, the only worse scenario would be the club going bankrupt.

Now, we don't live in a perfect world. Our arena is a shithole and the club has been working HARD to get a decent one for a decade now. Politics in Geneva being what they are, it's taking forever, and everyone is getting pissed off about it. Because of the lack of a decent building (according to the club anyway) we stand no chance competing against the bigger organisations in the country, we have to ask a lot from our partners etc. Even the league is running out of patience with our building. They're clearly threatening to send us to second division if nothing is happening.

The way I see it, if everything REALLY goes to shit with the arena situation, that the club starts falling financially after we lose a big partner or two, that Geneva's politics keep doing what they do best (which is being awful at their jobs), and that some super rich Russian dude pops in, offering a new arena and a nice team with some solid financial guarantees for the future (that's not happening since we're talking about Russian people but whatever), then yeah, maaaybe I can see the GSHC joining the KHL.

It's very possible the KHL is interested in Geneva though (more than the other way around) and it would shock no one here that the club is using this to put pressure on our politics. They would look like assholes if the club had to turn to the KHL to survive whereas all they asked from Geneva was both legit and reasonable.

Doug

Message par Doug » dim. 14 déc. 2014 18:22

Hopefully it won't happen! Even though I'm pretty sure nobody in Geneva gives a s*** about the KHL and if ANY swiss team joins this league, well, they'll lose an incredible amount of fans. Trust me, this is in nobody's interest nor favor. Let them do their own little business!

NoUseForANickname

Message par NoUseForANickname » mer. 17 déc. 2014 11:42

Here's my 2 cents on the topic :

Nobody knows what the future is made of for KHL, especially now that the ruble has crashed down like crazy... BUT if they get through it, I wouldn't exclude GSHC joining the league... Here's why :

- New KHL president is a puppet of Timshenko (who's barely secretly sponsoring our team - I'm pretty sure he's the one paying for Lombardi and Almond amongst other things...). He lives in GVA, likes it, likes CMS and Quennec and he's also filthy rich...

- Timshenko isn't too keen on KHL expansion unless it concerns a serious team (with enough money and/or enough credit on the international level). For example he's gonna kick Zagreb out of the league, because they are a never ending source of debts. GSHC is very well handled financially, they have history, they're swiss, no need to say more...

- GSHC has a problem with their stadium and will be in serious trouble if they don't get a new one within a few years (which is most likely going to be the case), I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem very long if they'd join KHL....

- Consider the example of Jokerit Helsinki, which was a very popular team in the Finnish Liiga and they left for KHL... Well, they've never been more popular since joining the KHL, despite a few unhappy die-hards fan, who still go to the game anyway...

Now, remember, this is purely my own theory, and probably GSHC has no intention yet to join KHL, but if KHL can prove to be an healthy organisation (as healthy as anything russian and putin-controlled can be), I wouldn't exclude this idea too much...

Doug

Message par Doug » mer. 17 déc. 2014 19:25

NoUseForANickname a écrit :Here's my 2 cents on the topic :

Nobody knows what the future is made of for KHL, especially now that the ruble has crashed down like crazy... BUT if they get through it, I wouldn't exclude GSHC joining the league... Here's why :

- New KHL president is a puppet of Timshenko (who's barely secretly sponsoring our team - I'm pretty sure he's the one paying for Lombardi and Almond amongst other things...). He lives in GVA, likes it, likes CMS and Quennec and he's also filthy rich...

- Timshenko isn't too keen on KHL expansion unless it concerns a serious team (with enough money and/or enough credit on the international level). For example he's gonna kick Zagreb out of the league, because they are a never ending source of debts. GSHC is very well handled financially, they have history, they're swiss, no need to say more...

- GSHC has a problem with their stadium and will be in serious trouble if they don't get a new one within a few years (which is most likely going to be the case), I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem very long if they'd join KHL....

- Consider the example of Jokerit Helsinki, which was a very popular team in the Finnish Liiga and they left for KHL... Well, they've never been more popular since joining the KHL, despite a few unhappy die-hards fan, who still go to the game anyway...

Now, remember, this is purely my own theory, and probably GSHC has no intention yet to join KHL, but if KHL can prove to be an healthy organisation (as healthy as anything russian and putin-controlled can be), I wouldn't exclude this idea too much...
Geez! most likely + going to :shock:
Anyway, as long as the team doesn't have a new arena, Geneva and the KHL talks are just nonsense.

Cole

Message par Cole » mer. 17 déc. 2014 19:31

Doug a écrit :Anyway, as long as the team doesn't have a new arena, Geneva and the KHL talks are just nonsense.
Except if the current arena project (if that's even such a thing) keeps going nowhere, that the financial health of the club gets fragile and that entering the KHL would actually bring us a new arena. That's the only way I see it happening.

Doug

Message par Doug » mer. 17 déc. 2014 20:57

Cole a écrit :
Doug a écrit :Anyway, as long as the team doesn't have a new arena, Geneva and the KHL talks are just nonsense.
Except if the current arena project (if that's even such a thing) keeps going nowhere, that the financial health of the club gets fragile and that entering the KHL would actually bring us a new arena. That's the only way I see it happening.
Still, I don't see the KHL granting Geneva a spot until they actually have an arena. They won't take any chances, what's at stake here, is the future of their very own league. They've done quite a few mistakes in the past, and thus, they might wanna use it to their advantage. So we'll have to wait a few years, even though, I don't see it happening at all.

GSHCinSVK1

Message par GSHCinSVK1 » jeu. 18 déc. 2014 09:45

Guys, I would like to thank you for interesting informations.

Speaking on arena. I heard that Timchenko should be one of investors of new arena. He and Rotenbergs created company Arena Events oy to buy Hartwall Arena and Jokerit last year. Here is website http://www.arenaevents.fi/

Should be Timchenko as private person an investor of new arena or Arena Events oy? What they write at their website:
Arena Events is a growth-oriented company that aims to expand its portfolio of venues – particularly throughout Russia and other countries with passion for sports in general and ice-hockey in particular. We are interested in discussing different business models including, but not limited to, acquisitions, joint ventures and minority share investments.
We are enthusiastic about sports and experienced in managing sports teams. As such, we are interested in acquiring sports teams as we grow our portfolio of venues.
We are a sports and entertainment company and business consultancy focused on building world-class venues, winning sports teams and profitable businesses.

NoUseForANickname

Message par NoUseForANickname » ven. 19 déc. 2014 08:34

Nice ! I didn't even know about this new structure... makes even more sense....

If not GSHC, Timshenko will get around other clubs for sure... Remember that the way Jokerit joined KHL and the way they handled their business is so remarkable that it will be used as an example for other teams in KHL too...

@GSHCinSVK1 : are you a GSHC fan from Slovakia ?

GSHCinSVK1

Message par GSHCinSVK1 » ven. 19 déc. 2014 09:33

NoUseForANickname a écrit :Nice ! I didn't even know about this new structure... makes even more sense....

If not GSHC, Timshenko will get around other clubs for sure... Remember that the way Jokerit joined KHL and the way they handled their business is so remarkable that it will be used as an example for other teams in KHL too...

@GSHCinSVK1 : are you a GSHC fan from Slovakia ?
No, but I would support GSHC in KHL. I have followed KHL since 2008 and I am intersted in KHL expansion.

John Doe

Message par John Doe » ven. 19 déc. 2014 11:29

GSHCinSVK1, are you Juraj Simek ? :lol:

GSHCinSVK1

Message par GSHCinSVK1 » ven. 19 déc. 2014 11:45

NoUseForANickname a écrit :Here's my 2 cents on the topic :

KHL new president and GMs had meeting last two days in Sochi. There is ENG speech of KHL president. http://en.khl.ru/news/2014/12/20/231466.html

Dont know what you mean by KHL can prove to be an healthy organisation. IMO it is sustainable bussiness model and good marketing. Both criterias lack in KHL since the beginning. Why? Because russians in general dont know how to make PR/marketing. Good news in that SKA has great marketing, attendance growing, club is able to make money and has plan to cover all costs (salaries etc) within 5 years. We will see, but Roman Rotenberg (SKA marketing boss) is a clever guy. He wants to "teach" other clubs how to make marketing. Chernyshenko is guy working in sport marketing whole carreer, he knows what to do. He said after KHL meeting yesterday that KHL will have more strict criteria to PR/marketing of clubs under his leadership. It is a positive news. Maybe KHL will be more attractive for euro clubs now.

More important thing is revenue sharing. KHL owns 60% of market space (boards, ice) and all tv money and this income is league´s not sharing with clubs. New president wants to share some % of this money with clubs. This bussiness model might be attractive for euro clubs, because this club lets say GSHC would get money from league. Dont know how much. Btw how much money do NLA clubs get from tv deals? How much money do NLA clubs get from CHL? If not so much, would be KHL more attractive if clubs get more money from KHL than CHL?

Last but not least. "KHL is not interested in joining CHL in its current form. KHL might be interesting only for final match among KHL and CHL champion" said Roman Rotenberg (SKA vicepresident), but it is an opinion of all (top) clubs.

GSHCinSVK1

Message par GSHCinSVK1 » lun. 1 juin 2015 13:23

I made a research of statements on KHL expansion since Chernyshenko came to office (KHL President).

A source said to TASS why Medvedev was ousted. Who knows if it is true? But it make sense when we are comparing the statements. So, Timchenko did not like expansion vision of Medvedev – 1) foreign clubs created for KHL from scratch (Lev Poprad, Lev Praha, plans like Helvetics and some german rumours), 2) foreign clubs from non-hockey countries (Medvescak, plan like Milan, London), 3) foreign clubs fully funded by russians (Lev), 4) overexpansion of KHL – quality of play going down as a result because there is not so many good players outside NHL.

Expansion vision of Timchenko (see Chernyshenko, but final word is behind Timchenko) – 1) famous/historic russian clubs joining KHL (Spartak and maybe Krylya Sovetov), 2) famous foreign clubs which can be funded by Russians at the beginning but after a few seasons they (foreign clubs) would be able to make money to finance itself/themselves.
http://tass.ru/sport/1626803

14.1.2015 Roman Rotenberg
Roman Rotenberg said that Arena Events is in touch with many european arenas about partnership or selling them to Roman´s company, even there are anti-russian sanctions. If his plans come to reality one day, then clubs playing in these big european arenas can join KHL (see example of Jokerit). Roman´s company doesnot have to buy arenas, they might be another deal among Arena Events and euro arena/s.
http://www.sovsport.md/gazeta/article-item/771568

25.1.2015 Roman Rotenberg
Roman Rotenberg said KHL should accept only clubs from hockey countries, especially from Sweden, Switzerland and Germany (non-hockey country but wealthy enough). Clubs from other european countries might join KHL as well, but priority is to lure clubs from top euro hockey countries. He also said that some weak russian clubs must play VHL. Will they be replaced by euro clubs?
http://www.championat.com/hockey/articl ... -fkhr.html

5.2.2015 Dmitri Kurbatov
Dmitri Kurbatov, vice president of KHL at the time (does not work in KHL anymore), said very interesting things. He said that now (February) is not the best time for new projects (foreign clubs to KHL), because of sanctions. But he is sure that foreign clubs join KHL in future. He said: „some news on expansion will be announced this spring (2015) and others in spring 2016“ He was right, because Chernyshenko announced China and euro clubs joining in 2016/17 in spring 2015 (this May). Kurbatov said that KHL is not place for every euro club, because some are located in small cities and others dont have potential to finance itself in future (see what I wrote about Jokerit above). Kurbatov added, which is very important, „we (KHL) see clubs in Europe which could join KHL.“ What does it mean?
http://rsport.ru/hockey/20150205/804664317.html

27.2.2015 Dmitri Chernyshenko

Chernyshenko said that the league will try to make KHL attractive enough for top clubs from CIS, Europe and Asia.
http://rsport.ru/hockey/20150227/810702251.html

20.5.2015 Dmitri Chernyshenko
Chernyshenko invited CHL clubs to KHL and added that KHL has negotiated with some euro and asian clubs.
I would recommend CHL clubs to join KHL if the clubs fulfil our regulations. Our league is open. We has already negotiated with european and asian clubs. It is too early to be concrete. Foreign clubs will join our family in near future and will increase the level of our league

http://rsport.ru/hockey/20150520/833242547.html

21.5.2015 Dmitri Chernyshenko
Chernyshenko said that KHL is in touch with club from Shanghai. See english text here http://tass.ru/en/sports/795913

21.5.2015 Dmitri Chernyshenko
Chernyshenko confirmed that KHL has negotiated with several famous european clubs (like Jokerit, Slovan) from superhockey countries and it is very likely that euro club/s will join KHL in 2016/17. Of course it is not done deal yet.
We have several potential candidates from Europe,whom we work with (he means negotiate with them). They wont play next season, but season after next season there is a huge probability (they to join). I am talking about famous brands from superhockey nations like Jokerit and Slovan.
http://tass.ru/sport/1990281

What do you think?

Répondre